This 13 inch mortar was used by the First Connecticut Heavy Artillery (Civil War) during the campaign at Petersburg, Virginia (1864-1865).
The First Connecticut Heavy Artillery, originally the Fourth Connecticut Infantry, was the first volunteer organization that was mustered for three years into the service of the United States (May 22, 1861-September 25, 1865).
|Its total enrollment, officers and men, was
The mortar was mounted on a railway car and moved from one firing position to another.
The memorial was dedicated September 25, 1902.