Raised H.B. No. 6590
Session Year 2021
AN ACT PROHIBITING CERTAIN INSURANCE DISCRIMINATION AND ESTABLISHING A TASK FORCE TO STUDY INSURANCE COSTS BORNE BY BUSINESSES LOCATED IN DISTRESSED MUNICIPALITIES.
To: (1) Expand the Connecticut Unfair Insurance Practices Act to provide that no (A) insurance company, hospital service corporation, health care center or fraternal benefit society providing disability income protection coverage shall refuse to insure, refuse to continue to insure or limit the amount, extent or kind of coverage available to an individual, or charge an individual a different rate for the same coverage, because the individual has been a victim of domestic violence, and (B) property and casualty insurer that delivers, issues, renews, amends, continues or endorses a property or casualty insurance policy shall make any distinction or discrimination against an individual in delivering, issuing, renewing, amending, continuing, endorsing, offering, withholding, cancelling or setting premiums for such policy, or in the terms of such policy, because the individual has been a victim of domestic violence; (2) provide that no life insurer shall make any distinction or discrimination between persons on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a victim of domestic violence; and (3) establish a task force to study the high insurance costs borne by businesses located in distressed municipalities in this state.
Public Hearing Testimony
Insurance and Real Estate Committee
- 03/09/2021 Blackston, Brynna, Government Relations-Connecticut Association of Health Plans-Opposed
- 03/09/2021 Frechette, Ashley, Director-CT Coalition Against Domestic Violence-Supports
- 03/09/2021 George, Eric, President-Insurance Association of Connecticut-Comments
- 03/09/2021 McConney Moore, Kelly-ACLU-CT-Supports
- 03/09/2021 Reyes Jr., Geraldo, Representative-Supports
- 03/09/2021 State of Connecticut CHRO-Supports