Substitute for H.B. No. 5743
Session Year 2017
AN ACT CONCERNING HATE CRIMES.
To increase penalties for hate crimes, provide that probation for hate crimes may include related community service, broaden threatening statutes to include threats directed against houses of worship, religious community centers and day care centers, broaden hate crimes to include bias against the gender of a person, establish a State-Wide Hate Crimes Advisory Council, establish text and telephone hotlines to provide assistance for persons inquiring about or reporting hate crimes with funding provided through a minimum fine structure for hate crimes and provide employees protections if they need limited time from work to care for a child whose school or day care center is evacuated or closed due to a threat of violence.
Public Hearing Testimony
- 03/27/2017 Bailey, Catherine, Deputy Director-CWEALF
- 03/27/2017 Crowder, Christina
- 03/27/2017 CWCS & TIP
- 03/27/2017 Fydenkevez, Esq., Kaitlyn, Director of Policy & Public Relations-CT Alliance to End Sexual Violence
- 03/27/2017 Horsley, Valerie, Leader-Action Together CT
- 03/27/2017 Hughes, Tanya, Executive Director-CHRO
- 03/27/2017 Jewish Federation Association of CT
- 03/27/2017 Kleindienst, Jennifer
- 03/27/2017 Lambert, Theda
- 03/27/2017 Looney, Senator Martin M., Senator-State of CT Senate
- 03/27/2017 Martocchio, Henry J.
- 03/27/2017 Pierre, Esq., Natasha M., State Victim Advocate-State of CT Office of the Victim Advocate