OLR Bill Analysis
AN ACT CONCERNING WATER USAGE AND CONSERVATION DURING DROUGHT CONDITIONS.
This bill requires the Water Planning Council to:
1. review state and local authorizations on drought events in Connecticut, including state and local processes and authorities for issuing notices about changing drought intensity and any attendant voluntary or mandatory water use restrictions during these changes in intensity and
2. adopt a comprehensive state drought plan based on this review.
In completing the review on drought event authorizations, the bill permits the council to consult with its advisory group.
The bill requires the council to report on the state drought plan and any recommended legislative changes to the Environment and Public Health committees by February 1, 2019.
EFFECTIVE DATE: Upon passage
Under the bill, the Water Planning Council's report to the Environment and Public Health committees must include the council's suggestions for (1) an appropriate interval for updating the state drought plan and (2) including in that plan:
1. a synthesis of state and local authorities, processes, and water use restrictions;
2. recommendations for standardizing the initiation of drought advisories, watches, warnings, and emergencies in the state, including recommendations on the appropriate depletion level of reservoirs and public drinking water supplies to trigger such actions;
3. recommendations for the attendant voluntary and mandatory water use restrictions during these situations, including the implementation of mandatory water use restrictions;
4. an effective public notification system for these situations that (a) uses available internet websites and social media of affected water companies and municipalities where these water companies operate and (b) recommends the appropriate drought level for using emergency notification systems; and
5. the viability and effectiveness of enforcement mechanisms designed to assure compliance with any mandatory water use restrictions.
Public Health Committee
Joint Favorable Substitute