February Session, 2018
LCO No. 5620
REP. FLEISCHMANN, 18th Dist.
REP. LAVIELLE, 143rd Dist.
SEN. SLOSSBERG, 14th Dist.
REP. STANESKI, 119th Dist.
"AN ACT CONCERNING STUDENTS' RIGHT TO PRIVACY IN THEIR MOBILE ELECTRONIC DEVICES."
Strike everything after the enacting clause and substitute the following in lieu thereof:
"Section 1. (Effective from passage) (a) There is established a working group to study and make recommendations concerning issues relating to the search and seizure of student's personal electronic devices.
(b) The working group shall consist of the following members:
(1) The executive director of the Commission on Women, Children and Seniors, or the executive director's designee;
(2) The Commissioner of Education, or the commissioner's designee;
(3) The executive director of Connecticut Legal Services, or the executive director's designee;
(4) A representative from the Connecticut Association of Boards of Education;
(5) A representative from the Connecticut Association of Public School Superintendents;
(6) A representative from the Connecticut Education Association;
(7) A representative from the Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association;
(8) A representative from the Office of the Chief Public Defender;
(9) A representative from the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut;
(10) A representative from the Center for Children's Advocacy;
(11) A representative from the Division of Criminal Justice; and
(12) A representative from CTCORE-Organize Now!.
(c) The executive director of the Commission on Women, Children and Seniors, or the executive director's designee, shall schedule the first meeting of the working group, which shall be held not later than sixty days after the effective date of this section.
(d) The members of the working group shall elect two chairpersons from among the members of the working group.
(e) The administrative staff of the Commission on Women, Children and Seniors shall serve as administrative staff of the task force.
(f) Not later than January 1, 2019, the working group shall submit a report on its findings and recommendations to the joint standing committee of the General Assembly having cognizance of matters relating to education, in accordance with the provisions of section 11-4a of the general statutes. The working group shall terminate on the date that it submits such report or January 1, 2019, whichever is later."
This act shall take effect as follows and shall amend the following sections: