January Session, 2017
LCO No. 5437
Referred to Committee on TRANSPORTATION
AN ACT CONCERNING THE POWER OF THE COMMISSIONER OF TRANSPORTATION TO CONDUCT A MILEAGE TAX STUDY WITH STATE FUNDS.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:
Section 1. Section 13b-4 of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2017):
The commissioner shall have the following general powers, duties and responsibilities:
(1) To coordinate and develop comprehensive, integrated transportation policy and planning to include a long-range master plan of transportation for the state;
(2) To coordinate and assist in the development and operation of a modern, safe, efficient and energy-conserving system of highway, mass transit, marine and aviation facilities and services;
(3) To promote the coordinated and efficient use of all available and future modes of transportation;
(4) To study commuter and urban travel and in cooperation with federal, regional and local agencies and persons to formulate and implement plans and programs to improve such travel, except a federal study, paid for in part with state matching funds, to determine the feasibility and implementation of a mileage-based user fee on motor vehicles operated on state highways;
(5) To study means of providing facilities for parking motor vehicles so as to encourage travel by the combination of motor vehicle and other modes of transportation and in cooperation with federal, regional and local agencies and persons to formulate and implement plans and programs for this purpose;
(6) To study means of improving transportation safety and to formulate and implement plans and programs and adopt regulations, in accordance with chapter 54, for this purpose;
(7) To cooperate with federal, state, interstate and local agencies, organizations and persons performing activities relating to transportation;
(8) To exercise and perform such other duties and responsibilities as may be conferred under this chapter and title 13a or as may otherwise be conferred by law;
(9) To prepare a plan setting forth a recommendation for a restructured system of regional transit districts within the state. Said plan shall be based on: (A) Established patterns of commuter traffic within the state; (B) federal requirements for receiving aid under the Urban Mass Transportation Act of 1964; and (C) present planning regions. On or before February 1, 1978, the commissioner shall present such plan to the General Assembly;
(10) To prepare pertinent reports, including but not limited to, detailed reports of energy use analysis by mode of transportation;
(11) To provide for the planning and construction of any capital improvements and the remodeling, alteration, repair or enlargement of any real asset that may be required for the development and operation of a safe, efficient system of highway, mass transit, marine and aviation transportation, provided (A) the acquisition, other than by condemnation, or the sale or lease, of any property that is used for such purposes shall be subject to the review and approval of the State Properties Review Board in accordance with the provisions of subsection (f) of section 4b-3, and (B) any contract for the planning, construction, remodeling, alteration, repair or enlargement of any public building which is estimated to cost more than five hundred thousand dollars shall be advertised and awarded in accordance with section 13b-20n; and
(12) To participate, subject to the availability of funds, in transit-oriented development projects at or near transit facilities.
This act shall take effect as follows and shall amend the following sections:
October 1, 2017
Statement of Purpose:
To prohibit the Commissioner of Transportation from expending state funds for a federal study of mileage tax on motor vehicles operated on state highways.
[Proposed deletions are enclosed in brackets. Proposed additions are indicated by underline, except that when the entire text of a bill or resolution or a section of a bill or resolution is new, it is not underlined.]
REP. ZAWISTOWSKI, 61st Dist.; REP. FISHBEIN, 90th Dist.
SEN. LINARES, 33rd Dist.