PA 17-204—sSB 1002
Government Administration and Elections Committee
AN ACT DESIGNATING VARIOUS DAYS, WEEKS, MONTHS AND STATE SYMBOLS
SUMMARY: This act designates Gustave Whitehead's No. 21 as the state pioneering aircraft and the Dilophosaurus as the state dinosaur. It also requires the governor to designate October as “National Disability Employment Awareness Month” to (1) recognize and celebrate businesses employing individuals with disabilities and (2) encourage other businesses to do so to reduce the unemployment rate among individuals with disabilities. Under the act, National Disability Employment Awareness Month replaces “National Employ the Handicapped Week,” which was previously the first week of October.
Under the act, the governor also must proclaim:
1. October 7 of each year to be Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness Day to increase public awareness of trigeminal neuralgia's symptoms and available treatments;
2. May 29 of each year to be Bob Hope Day to recognize Bob Hope's efforts across the globe in support of United States military service members;
3. May 1 of each year to be Purebred Dog Day to honor purebred dogs and their breeders;
4. the third week in October of each year to be Male Breast Cancer Awareness Week to heighten public awareness of male breast cancer's symptoms and available treatments;
5. May of each year to be Lyme Disease Awareness Month to heighten public awareness of Lyme disease's symptoms and available treatments;
6. the second Friday in December of each year to be PJ Day to raise awareness of all hospitalized children in the state;
7. the third Monday in April of each year to be Patriots' Day to commemorate the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord during the Revolutionary War;
8. March 13 of each year to be National K9 Veterans' Day to honor federal, state, and local law enforcement K9 Corps units and their service to the country, state, and local communities;
9. March of each year to be Connecticut Maple Month to recognize the contribution of Connecticut maple producers;
10. November 26 of each year to be Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva Awareness Day to raise public awareness of the rare connective tissue disease; and
11. May of each year to be Jewish American Heritage Month to honor Americans of Jewish ancestry, their culture, and the contributions they have made to this country.
Suitable exercises may be held in the State Capitol and elsewhere as the governor designates.
EFFECTIVE DATE: Upon passage for the provisions naming a state pioneering aircraft and dinosaur; upon the passage of a biennial budget for the biennium ending June 30, 2019, for the day, week, and month proclamations; and October 1, 2017, for the disability employment awareness month provisions.