PA 17-161—HB 6041
Public Safety and Security Committee
AN ACT PERMITTING NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS TO SELL RAFFLE TICKETS ONLINE
SUMMARY: This act allows certain organizations qualified to conduct, operate, or promote bazaars or raffles to sell or promote the sale of raffle tickets on their websites. It specifically prohibits any such sponsoring organization from conducting or operating an online raffle.
The act applies to the following entities conducting bazaars or raffles under a permit in a municipality that has adopted the Bazaar and Raffle Act:
1. officially recognized veterans' organizations and associations;
2. church and religious organizations;
3. civic, service, and social clubs;
4. fraternal and fraternal benefit societies;
5. educational and charitable organizations;
6. officially recognized volunteer fire companies; and
7. political parties and their town committees.
It does not apply to sponsoring municipalities acting through a designated centennial, bicentennial, or other centennial celebration committee.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2017
PA 17-231 generally transfers the Department of Consumer Protection's charitable gaming (including bazaar and raffle) investigation, oversight, and permitting functions to the municipality where the games are held.