Planning and Development Committee

JOINT FAVORABLE REPORT

Bill No.:

HB-7047

Title:

AN ACT CONCERNING MUNICIPAL FIRE APPARATUS SAFETY AND TESTING.

Vote Date:

3/3/2017

Vote Action:

Joint Favorable

PH Date:

2/22/2017

File No.:

3545

SPONSORS OF BILL:

Planning & Development Committee

REASONS FOR BILL:

HB 7047 will ensure added safety of fire apparatus for communities that currently do not follow the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1911 Standard testing procedures.

RESPONSE FROM ADMINISTRATION/AGENCY:

None expressed

NATURE AND SOURCES OF SUPPORT:

Rick Hart: Uniformed Professional Firefighters Association of CT:

The Uniformed Professional Firefighters Association of CT (UPFFAC) is in favor of HB 7047, pointing out that the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1911 Standard is considered the “industry standard” for fire services throughout the United States. UPFFAC stated that currently 80% of municipalities use NFPA 1911 standards and that having the remaining 20% of the municipalities follow the NFPA standards would ensure that critical components of fire apparatus responding to any fire in Connecticut will function as designed for the safety of all concerned.

NATURE AND SOURCES OF OPPOSITION:

THE CONNECTICUT CONFERENCE OF MUNICIPALITIES:

The Connecticut Conference of Municipalities (CCM) opposes bill HB 7047 primarily on the grounds of cost, and because the state should not consider mandates for municipalities that the state itself is not mandated to follow.

Reported by: Robert Forrest

Date 03/06/2017