OFFICE OF FISCAL ANALYSIS

Legislative Office Building, Room 5200

Hartford, CT 06106 (860) 240-0200

http://www.cga.ct.gov/ofa

sSB-1026

AN ACT CONCERNING REVISIONS TO THE HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS.


OFA Fiscal Note

State Impact:

Agency Affected

Fund-Effect

FY 18 $ - FY 19 $

Education, Dept.

GF – Delays Cost

Up to 3.4 million - 6 million

Note: GF=General Fund

Municipal Impact:

Municipalities

Effect

FY 18 $ - FY 19 $

Various Local and Regional School Districts

Delays Cost

Up to 3.5 million - 5.5 million statewide

Explanation

The bill delays, by two years, implementation of the scheduled changes to the state's high school graduation requirements. This will result in a significant delay in costs to local and regional school districts. It is anticipated that local and regional school districts would have incurred costs ranging from $14 million to $21 million (statewide) to implement the expanded high school graduation requirements. However, it is estimated that up to 75% of districts have already implemented the requirements, so the delay in costs will be to the remaining 25%.

The delay of graduation requirement changes will result in a delay in costs to the State Department of Education (SDE). It is anticipated that SDE would have incurred costs ranging from $3.4 million to $6 million to develop the model curriculum and prepare local and regional school districts for the change in curriculum. These costs will be delayed for two years.

The bill also results in a potential savings to various districts by: 1) postponing by two years the beginning of required remedial services for grades seven through 12 and 2) specifying that high school courses must meet statewide subject matter standards to fulfill graduation requirements and allowing mastery-based courses to satisfy these requirements. The scope of the delay in costs will be dependent upon how districts are currently implementing these requirements, if at all. By delaying the various provisions, districts could postpone hiring additional teachers, at an average salary (in FY 16) of approximately $73,837. The delay in costs will vary by district.

The Out Years

There are no savings in the out years associated with the graduation requirement changes, as the delay is only for two years.