Labor and Public Employees Committee
Thursday, February 4, 2016
1:00 PM in Room 1C of the LOB
The meeting was called to order at 1:08 PM by Chairman, Rep. Tercyak P. 026.
The following committee members were present:
Meeting was called to order by Representative Peter Tercyak of the 26th House District at 1:08 PM.
Representative Tercyak made remarks on the type of meeting and explained that this was the first step in the bill making process.
Representative Tercyak requested a motion to raise all the following concepts as bills.
1. An Act Concerning Employee Working Conditions
2. An Act Concerning the Labor Department
3. An Act Concerning Workers' Compensation
4. An Act Concerning Employee Wages
5. An Act Allowing Employers to Pay Employee Wages Using Payroll Cards
6. An Act Concerning Personal Care Attendants and Workers' Compensation Benefits
7. An Act Concerning Paid Family and Medical Leave
8. An Act Concerning Criminal Records and Employment Applications
9. An Act Concerning Domestic Workers
10. An Act Concerning the Minimum Fair Wage and Employees who Customarily and Regularly Receive Gratuities
11. An Act Concerning Minor and Technical Amendments to the General Statutes Relating to the Labor Department
12. An Act Concerning the Prevailing Wage
13. An Act Concerning Changes to the Unemployment Compensation System
14. An Act Concerning Extending Paid Sick Leave to Teaching Assistants and School Paraprofessionals
15. An Act Concerning the Use of Credit Reports For Employment Decisions
Senator Osten made the motion to raise all the concepts and seconded by Representative Rutigliano.
Representative Miner remarked on the Governor's budget proposal as it relates to some of the concepts presented to be voted on. He said that while he never voted against any concept to be raised he had serious concerns with the ones offered today. He remarked that he felt that they shouldn't necessarily be raised all at once.
Representative Tercyak sincerely thanked Representative Miner for his remarks and appreciated his concern, noting that he has no memory of Representative Miner ever voting against raising concepts.
The motion passed on a voice vote.
A motion was duly made and seconded to adjourn the meeting by Senator Osten and seconded by Representative Rutigliano.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:15 PM.
Joshua F. Quintana
Assistant Committee Clerk