February Session, 2016
AN ACT ESTABLISHING A WORKING GROUP TO STUDY THE PERFORMANCE OF CERTAIN LIMITED DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES FUNCTIONS BY TOWN CLERKS.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:
Section 1. (Effective from passage) (a) There is established a working group to study the feasibility, costs and benefits of authorizing town clerks to perform certain limited functions that are statutorily assigned to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The working group shall (1) examine functions of the department that are performed at branch offices of the department, including, but not limited to, original issuance, renewal and replacement of motor vehicle operator's licenses and identity cards, and original issuance and renewal of motor vehicle registrations, (2) identify any such functions that may be performed by town clerks, and (3) analyze the feasibility, costs and benefits of authorizing town clerks to perform such functions.
(b) The working group shall consist of the following members:
(1) Two appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives, one of whom shall represent the Connecticut Town Clerks Association and one of whom shall represent the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities;
(2) Two appointed by the president pro tempore of the Senate, one of whom shall represent the Connecticut Town Clerks Association and one of whom shall represent the Connecticut Council of Small Towns;
(3) One appointed by the majority leader of the House of Representatives;
(4) One appointed by the majority leader of the Senate;
(5) One appointed by the minority leader of the House of Representatives;
(6) One appointed by the minority leader of the Senate; and
(7) The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, or the commissioner's designee.
(c) Any member of the working group appointed under subdivision (3), (4), (5) or (6) of subsection (b) of this section may be a member of the General Assembly.
(d) All appointments to the working group shall be made not later than thirty days after the effective date of this section. Any vacancy shall be filled by the appointing authority.
(e) The speaker of the House of Representatives and the president pro tempore of the Senate shall select the chairpersons of the working group from among the members of the working group. Such chairpersons shall schedule the first meeting of the working group, which shall be held not later than sixty days after the effective date of this section.
(f) The administrative staff of the joint standing committees of the General Assembly having cognizance of matters relating to transportation and government administration shall serve as administrative staff of the working group.
(g) Not later than January 1, 2017, the working group shall submit a report on its findings and recommendations to the joint standing committees of the General Assembly having cognizance of matters relating to transportation and government administration, in accordance with the provisions of section 11-4a of the general statutes. The working group shall terminate on the date that it submits such report or January 1, 2017, whichever is later.
This act shall take effect as follows and shall amend the following sections:
Joint Favorable Subst.