OLR Research Report


By: Nicole Dube, Principal Analyst


What are Connecticut's school immunization requirements? Does the state allow medical or religious exemptions from these requirements?


Connecticut requires immunizing school-aged children attending both public and private schools against the following diseases:

1. measles, mumps, and rubella (preschool through grade 12);

2. polio (preschool through grade 12);

3. diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (preschool through grade 12);

4. hemophilus influenza B (under age 5);

5. hepatitis B (preschool through grade 12);

6. hepatitis A (preschool and kindergarten);

7. chicken pox (preschool through grade 12);

8. influenza (preschool);

9. pneumonia (under age 5); and

10. meningitis (7th grade) (CGS 10-204a & Conn. Agencies Regs. 10-204a et seq.).


Medical Exemption

The law exempts children from school immunization requirements if the child presents a (1) Department of Public Health (DPH) medical exemption form and (2) signed letter from a physician, physician assistant, or advanced practice registered nurse stating that such immunization is medically contraindicated. The letter must include the child's name and birth date as well as the vaccine for which the exemption is being filed and the medical condition that contraindicates the vaccine (CGS 10-204a & Conn. Agencies Regs. 10-204a et seq.).

Religious Exemption

Exemptions are also provided to a child who presents a DPH religious exemption form from his or her parents or guardians that states that the immunization would be contrary to the religious beliefs of the child, parents, or guardians (CGS 10-204a & Conn. Agencies Regs. 10-204a et seq.). The form does not require any proof or documentation to support the religious belief. Recent legislation requires that the form be officially acknowledged by a notary public, Connecticut-licensed attorney, judge, family support magistrate, court clerk or deputy clerk, town clerk, school nurse, or justice of the peace (PA 15-174 and PA 15-242).

The form must be submitted when a child initially enrolls in public or private school and when he or she enrolls in seventh grade.

Medical and religious exemption forms are available on DPH's website (http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3136&q=388416).