Governor's Bill No. 6850
January Session, 2015
LCO No. 1133
Referred to Committee on LABOR AND PUBLIC EMPLOYEES
REP. SHARKEY, 88th Dist.
REP. ARESIMOWICZ, 30th Dist.
SEN. LOONEY, 11th Dist.
SEN. DUFF, 25th Dist.
AN ACT CONCERNING PAY EQUITY AND FAIRNESS.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:
Section 1. (NEW) (Effective July 1, 2015) (a) As used in this section:
(1) "Employer" means any individual, corporation, limited liability company, firm, partnership, voluntary association, joint stock association, the state and any political subdivision thereof and any public corporation within the state using the services of one or more employees for pay;
(2) "Employee" means any individual employed or permitted to work by an employer; and
(3) "Wages" means compensation for labor or services rendered by an employee, whether the amount is determined on a time, task, piece, commission or other basis of calculation.
(b) No employer shall:
(1) Prohibit an employee from disclosing, inquiring about or discussing the amount of his or her wages or the wages of another employee;
(2) Require an employee to sign a waiver or other document that purports to deny the employee his or her right to disclose, inquire about or discuss the amount of his or her wages or the wages of another employee; or
(3) Discharge, discipline, discriminate against, retaliate against or otherwise penalize any employee who discloses, inquires about or discusses the amount of his or her wages or the wages of another employee.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require any employer or employee to disclose the amount of wages paid to any employee.
(d) An action to redress a violation of subsection (b) of this section may be maintained in any court of competent jurisdiction by any one or more employees. An employer who violates subsection (b) of this section may be found liable for compensatory damages, attorney's fees and costs, punitive damages and such legal and equitable relief as the court deems just and proper.
(e) No action shall be brought for any violation of subsection (b) of this section except within two years after such violation.
This act shall take effect as follows and shall amend the following sections:
July 1, 2015
Statement of Purpose:
To implement the Governor's budget recommendations.
[Proposed deletions are enclosed in brackets. Proposed additions are indicated by underline, except that when the entire text of a bill or resolution or a section of a bill or resolution is new, it is not underlined.]