OLR Bill Analysis
AN ACT CONCERNING FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION IN PUBLIC HOUSING.
This bill bans municipalities and entities operating state- or federally-funded public housing projects from prohibiting tenants from using common facilities or community rooms for political activities. The bill defines “political activity” as including:
1. an event organized for a political party or candidate for office;
2. initiating, circulating, or signing petitions;
3. community political meetings;
4. campaigning for or against proposed referenda questions, constitutional amendments, legislation, or municipal ordinances; or
5. expressing opinions about candidates and political or social issues.
By law, entities operating state- or federally-funded public housing projects are housing authorities, nonprofit corporations, and municipal developers.
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2015
Government Administration and Elections Committee