OLR Bill Analysis
HB 5131 (as amended by House “A”)*
AN ACT TRANSFERRING CERTAIN POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING.
This bill transfers various housing-related powers from the Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) commissioner to the Department of Housing (DOH) commissioner.
*House Amendment “A” makes a technical change that transfers the DECD commissioner's existing delegation authority currently codified elsewhere to the section that lists the commissioner's specific powers.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2014, except for the provisions concerning incentive housing zones, which are effective July 1, 2014.
The bill authorizes the DOH commissioner, rather than the DECD commissioner, to (1) award grants to nonprofit housing organizations under the incentive housing zone program and (2) adopt regulations concerning such grants (CGS § 8-13x).
It also transfers from the DECD commissioner to the DOH commissioner, the authority to, among other things:
1. accept federal and state grants;
2. defer payments due on a loan made by DOH which is, or may become, delinquent;
3. acquire and convey, or place in a DOH program, state-financed housing owned by a legally dissolved developer;
4. operate and accept state and federal funds on behalf of, or to operate, housing projects that the state acquires to preserve its interest under the contract that initially funded it;
5. enter into contracts on housing authorities' behalf;
6. provide technical assistance to public housing authorities;
7. collect information on public housing projects;
8. study, and develop plans to meet, housing needs;
9. study public housing financing options; and
10. adopt regulations to carry out the department's purposes (CGS § 8-37x).
Department of Housing
In 2012, legislation established DOH and made it the lead state agency responsible for all housing matters, including housing and neighborhood policy, development, redevelopment, preservation, maintenance, and improvement. PA 13-234 transferred many housing-related responsibilities to DOH from DECD, the Office of Policy and Management, and the Department of Social Services.