PA 13-34—sHB 5388
Veterans' Affairs Committee
Planning and Development Committee
AN ACT REQUIRING CITIES AND TOWNS TO DESIGNATE A VETERANS' SERVICE CONTACT PERSON
SUMMARY: This act requires any municipality that does not (1) have a local veterans' advisory committee or (2) fund a veterans' service officer to designate an employee to be its veterans' service contact person. It specifies the contact person's duties.
The act requires the Department of Veterans' Affairs' Veterans' Advocacy and Assistance Unit to conduct an annual training course for such contact persons and allows, but does not require, the contact persons to complete that course.
The act also makes conforming changes.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2013
VETERANS' SERVICE CONTACT PERSON'S DUTIES
Under the act, the contact person must perform the same duties that the law requires veterans' advisory committees to perform, including:
1. coordinating all matters concerning veterans and their dependents;
2. coordinating public and private facilities concerned with veterans' reemployment, education, rehabilitation, and adjustment to peacetime living;
3. cooperating with all national, state, and local government and private agencies in securing services and benefits to which a veteran or his or her dependents may be entitled;
4. encouraging and coordinating veterans' vocational training services; and
5. working with veterans organizations as much as possible to carry out these activities.
OLR Tracking: DL: ND: JKL: ts/ro