OLR Bill Analysis
AN ACT CONCERNING EDUCATION PROGRAMS FOR PEDIATRIC AUTOIMMUNE NEUROPSYCHIATRIC DISORDER ASSOCIATED WITH STREPTOCOCCAL INFECTIONS.
This bill requires the Department of Public Health (DPH) to develop programs to educate the medical community and general public and promote research on pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder associated with streptococcal infections (PANDAS).
These programs must include:
1. clinical awareness programs for physicians;
2. information outreach programs for teachers and the general public;
3. epidemiological studies of PANDAS within Connecticut;
4. the establishment of a panel of PANDAS experts in the clinical and research communities to help develop practice guidelines for the diagnosis, care, and treatment of PANDAS in the state; and
5. the establishment of a state liaison to develop science-based guidelines for the diagnosis, care, and treatment of PANDAS with the National Institute of Mental Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2013
SB 956, favorably reported by the Insurance and Real Estate Committee, requires (1) DPH to develop the same PANDAS programs and (2) certain health insurance policies to cover the diagnosis and treatment of PANDAS.
Public Health Committee