OFFICE OF FISCAL ANALYSIS

Legislative Office Building, Room 5200

Hartford, CT 06106 (860) 240-0200

http://www.cga.ct.gov/ofa

sSB-803

AN ACT CONCERNING ENTREPRENEURIAL PROGRAMS FOR THE NEXT GENERATION OF OYSTER HARVESTERS.

As Amended by Senate "A" (LCO 7321)

Senate Calendar No.: 120


OFA Fiscal Note

State Impact:

Agency Affected

Fund-Effect

FY 14 $

FY 15 $

Department of Agriculture

GF - Potential Revenue Gain

See Below

See Below

Municipal Impact: None

Explanation

The bill changes the amount distributed to the “expand and grow” account. Currently, the commissioner must deposit 25% of the proceeds derived from certain utility host payment fees into the General Fund, and the remaining 75% of this revenue to be deposited in the “expand and grow Connecticut agriculture” account which funds a portion of the Connecticut-grown program.

The bill also modifies the formula regarding current deposits into the “expand and grow” account. The bill allows the Department of Agriculture (DAG) to disburse this portion of funds between the Shellfish fund and the “expand and grow” account. It is uncertain how these funds would be distributed in FY 14 and FY 15.

Additionally, the bill permits DAG to lease not more than 25 acres of shellfish grounds to applicants. It is anticipated that this would generate approximately $1, 250 in FY 14 as five applicants would each lease approximately 10 acres at $25 per acre. In FY 15, it is anticipated that the number of applicants would increase to 10. These 10 applicants would also lease 10 acres each at $25 per acre, generating $2,500 to the state.

Lastly, the bill makes changes to the seaweed and aquatic licensure laws, which are not anticipated to result in a fiscal impact.

Senate “A” replaced the underlying file, removing provisions for the Departments of Economic and Community Development and Public Health to perform a study. The new requirements of the bill result in the potential revenue gain described above.

The Out Years

The annualized ongoing fiscal impact identified above would continue into the future subject to inflation and the number of acres leased.

The preceding Fiscal Impact statement is prepared for the benefit of the members of the General Assembly, solely for the purposes of information, summarization and explanation and does not represent the intent of the General Assembly or either chamber thereof for any purpose. In general, fiscal impacts are based upon a variety of informational sources, including the analyst's professional knowledge. Whenever applicable, agency data is consulted as part of the analysis, however final products do not necessarily reflect an assessment from any specific department.