OLR Research Report

February 24, 2012




By: Joseph R. Holstead, Principal Analyst

You asked for a list of locations in Connecticut where family members of U.S. armed forces service members can obtain or renew a Department of Defense (DoD) identification card.

Using the DoD's Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) locator, we found five Connecticut DoD I.D. locations serving family members, which are listed in Table 1 below.

TABLE 1: Connecticut Locations for Military Family Members to Obtain DoD I.D.

Coast Guard Academy

I.D. Card Section, Munro Hall
15 Mohegan Ave.
New London, CT 06320

(860) 444-8208

CT Air National Guard

103 Air Wing 100 Nicholson Rd.
East Granby, CT 06026-9309

(860) 292-2368

CT Air National Guard

103rd Air Control Squadron

206 Boston Post Rd
Orange, CT 06477

(203) 795-2934

Middletown Armed Forces Readiness Center

Human Resource Office

375 Smith Street
Suite 111
Middletown, CT 06457

(860) 613-7619

Navy Submarine Base New London
PSD Bldg. 83
I.D. Cards Rm # B1
Groton, CT 06349-5088

(860) 694-3022

Connecticut's Military Department legislative liaison, Lt. Col. Timothy Tomcho notes “As the issuance of I.D. cards is a controlled process and requires secured communications and trained personnel to operate the specialized equipment, the number of sites where I.D. cards are issued is limited.”

Eligible people are encouraged to (and in some cases, must) make appointments via the RAPIDS reservation website: https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/default.aspx, which is the protocol for the East Granby location. Other locations take phone reservations and walk-ins (such as the Middletown Armed Forces Readiness Center and the submarine base in Groton).

Military personnel and their family members may also access locations at facilities out of state, such as the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, New York, or Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee, Massachusetts. Additional RAPIDS sites are available using the following link: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e1s1.

When getting a new I.D. card, service members and their adult family members must bring two forms of acceptable identification, which include a:

1. DoD I.D. card;

2. driver's license;

3. U.S. passport; or

4. photo I.D. card that a federal, state, or local government issues.

Visit the following link for a complete list and additional information on required documentation for obtaining a DoD I.D.: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/html/RequiredDocuments.html