OLR Bill Analysis
AN ACT CONCERNING COMMUNITY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.
This bill authorizes up to $ 4. 225 million in state general obligation bonds for the Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) for various housing rehabilitation, capital improvement, and economic and community development projects. It requires DECD to use the bond proceeds as follows:
1. $ 2 million to construct a metropolitan economic development center in Hartford,
2. $ 1 million for grants to renovate the Vinewood Housing Development in Hartford,
3. $ 1 million for grants to improve the John E. Rogers African American Cultural Center in Hartford,
4. $ 150,000 for grants to renovate and improve the Bloomfield Early Learning Center, and
5. $ 25,000 for grants for programs at the Greater Hartford Pro-Am.
The bill requires DECD to transfer the remaining $ 50,000 to the Department of Public Health (DPH) commissioner to develop an assistance program for people seeking a barber's license from DPH.
The bonds are subject to standard statutory bond issuance procedures and repayment requirements.
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2012
Planning and Development Committee
Joint Favorable Substitute