January 14, 2011
QUESTIONS FOR DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES (DAS) COMMISSIONER NOMINEE
By: Terrance Adams, Legislative Analyst II
COMMISSIONER OF ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES (CGS §§ 4A-1 AND 4A-2)
The commissioner is responsible for establishing personnel policy; performing administrative tasks for state employees; purchasing and providing supplies, materials, and equipment for state agencies; publishing laws, stationery, and forms; and collecting funds due the state for public assistance.
1. How has your previous experience prepared you for this position?
2. What are the most important objectives you hope to accomplish as commissioner?
3. The State Contracting Standards Board is charged with adopting, in consultation with DAS, several procurement-related regulations, but has not done so because of a lack of funding. What has been the effect of not adopting these regulations? Could you work with the board to develop the regulations even if it continues to not be funded?
4. What are your thoughts on merging DAS with the Department of Public Works?
5. Do you intend to make any structural or organizational changes to DAS? If so, why and what changes? If not, why not?
6. The governor's transition team reported that Connecticut state government's 1:6 manager to employee ratio is twice the national average of other state governments. Do you think Connecticut's ratio is too high? If so, what steps could it take to reduce the ratio?
7. DAS currently prequalifies contractors that seek state building construction contracts while the Department of Transportation prequalifies contractors seeking state highway and bridge construction contracts. What efficiencies could the state realize by making DAS responsible for all contractor prequalification, including transportation contractors?
8. How well do you feel DAS contractor prequalification is working? What are some ways it could be improved?
9. The Commission on Enhancing Agency Outcomes (CEAO) recommended that the state expand its use of reverse auctions for the purchase of goods and supplies. What are your thoughts on this recommendation? Would you support legislation to allow reverse auctions for certain services?
10. DAS' Small Agency Resource Team (SmART) provides uniform and consolidated business office functions, including personnel, payroll, and affirmative action services for roughly 20 state agencies. CEAO recommended increasing the number of state agencies served by the SmART unit. What are your thoughts on this recommendation?
11. What are your thoughts on giving preference to in-state firms when awarding state contracts?
12. What role can DAS play in helping state government to be more efficient?