February Session, 2010
LCO No. 5177
SEN. FASANO, 34th Dist.
"AN ACT CONCERNING INDEPENDENT EXPENDITURES. "
After the last section, add the following and renumber sections and internal references accordingly:
"Sec. 501. Subsection (d) of section 9-704 of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective January 1, 2011, and applicable to primaries and elections held on and after said date):
(d) After a candidate committee receives the applicable aggregate amount of qualifying contributions under subsection (a) of this section, the candidate committee shall return or transmit any additional contributions that it receives to the State Treasurer for deposit in the Citizens' Election Fund.
Sec. 502. Subsection (b) of section 9-706 of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective January 1, 2011, and applicable to primaries and elections held on and after said date):
(b) The application shall include a written certification that:
(1) The candidate committee has received the required amount of qualifying contributions;
(2) The candidate committee has repaid all moneys borrowed on behalf of the campaign, as required by subsection (b) of section 9-710;
(3) The candidate committee has returned any contribution of five dollars or more from an individual who does not include the individual's name and address with the contribution;
(4) The candidate committee has returned all contributions or portions of contributions that do not meet the criteria for qualifying contributions under section 9-704 and returned or transmitted all excess qualifying contributions to the Citizens' Election Fund;
(5) The campaign treasurer of the candidate committee will: (A) Comply with the provisions of chapters 155 and 157, and (B) maintain and furnish all records required pursuant to chapters 155 and 157 and any regulation adopted pursuant to such chapters;
(6) All moneys received from the Citizens' Election Fund will be deposited upon receipt into the depository account of the candidate committee;
(7) The campaign treasurer of the candidate committee will expend all moneys received from the fund in accordance with the provisions of subsection (g) of section 9-607 and regulations adopted by the State Elections Enforcement Commission under subsection (e) of this section; and
(8) If the candidate withdraws from the campaign, becomes ineligible or dies during the campaign, the candidate committee of the candidate will return to the commission, for deposit in the fund, all moneys received from the fund pursuant to sections 9-700 to 9-716, inclusive, which said candidate committee has not spent as of the date of such occurrence. "