January Session, 2009
LCO No. 6409
SEN. STILLMAN, 20th Dist.
REP. DARGAN, 115th Dist.
SEN. DAILY, 33rd Dist.
"AN ACT CONCERNING MUNICIPAL ENFORCEMENT OF OCCUPATIONAL LICENSURE LAWS. "
After the last section, add the following and renumber sections and internal references accordingly:
"Sec. 501. Section 20-330 of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2009):
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Contractor" means any person regularly offering to the general public services of such person or such person's employees in the field of electrical work, plumbing and piping work, solar work, heating, piping, cooling and sheet metal work, fire protection sprinkler systems work, elevator installation, repair and maintenance work, irrigation work, automotive glass work or flat glass work, as defined in this section;
(2) "Electrical work" means the installation, erection, maintenance, alteration or repair of any wire, cable, conduit, busway, raceway, support, insulator, conductor, appliance, apparatus, fixture or equipment that generates, transforms, transmits or uses electrical energy for light, heat, power or other purposes, but does not include low voltage wiring, not exceeding twenty-four volts, used within a lawn sprinkler system;
(3) "Plumbing and piping work" means the installation, repair, replacement, alteration or maintenance of gas, water and associated fixtures, tubing and piping mains and branch lines up to and including the closest valve to a machine or equipment used in the manufacturing process, laboratory equipment, sanitary equipment, other than subsurface sewage disposal systems, fire prevention apparatus, all water systems for human usage, sewage treatment facilities and all associated fittings within a building and includes lateral storm and sanitary lines from buildings to the mains, process piping, swimming pools and pumping equipment, and includes making connections to back flow prevention devices, and includes low voltage wiring, not exceeding twenty-four volts, used within a lawn sprinkler system, but does not include (A) solar work, except for the repair of those portions of a solar hot water heating system that include the basic domestic hot water tank and the tie-in to the potable water system, (B) the installation, repair, replacement, alteration or maintenance of fire prevention apparatus within a structure, except for standpipes that are not connected to sprinkler systems, [and] (C) medical gas and vacuum systems work, and (D) millwright work. For the purposes of this subdivision, "process piping" means piping or tubing that conveys liquid or gas that is used directly in the production of a chemical or a product for human consumption;
(4) "Solar thermal work" means the installation, erection, repair, replacement, alteration, or maintenance of active, passive and hybrid solar systems that directly convert ambient energy into heat or convey, store or distribute such ambient energy;
(5) "Heating, piping and cooling work" means (A) the installation, repair, replacement, maintenance or alteration of any apparatus for piping, appliances, devices or accessories for heating systems, including sheet metal work, (B) the installation, repair, replacement, maintenance or alteration of air conditioning and refrigeration systems, boilers, including apparatus and piping for the generation or conveyance of steam and associated pumping equipment and process piping and the installation of tubing and piping mains and branch lines up to and including the closest valve to a machine or equipment used in the manufacturing process, but excluding millwright work, and (C) on-site operation, by manipulating, adjusting or controlling, with sufficient technical knowledge, as determined by the commissioner, (i) heating systems with a steam or water boiler maximum operating pressure of fifteen pounds per square inch gauge or greater, or (ii) air conditioning or refrigeration systems with an aggregate of more than fifty horsepower or kilowatt equivalency of fifty horsepower or of two hundred pounds of refrigerant. Heating, piping and cooling work does not include solar work or medical gas and vacuum systems work or the passive monitoring of heating, air conditioning or refrigeration systems. For the purposes of this subdivision, "process piping" means piping or tubing that conveys liquid or gas that is used directly in the production of a chemical or a product for human consumption;
(6) "Apprentice" means any person registered with the Labor Department for the purpose of learning a skilled trade;
(7) "Elevator installation, repair and maintenance work" means the installation, erection, maintenance and repair of all types of elevators, dumb waiters, escalators, and moving walks and all mechanical equipment, fittings, associated piping and wiring from a source of supply brought to the equipment room by an unlimited electrical contractor for all types of machines used to hoist or convey persons or materials, but does not include temporary hoisting machines used for hoisting materials in connection with any construction job or project;
(8) "Elevator maintenance" means the lubrication, inspection and replacement of controls, hoistway and car parts;
(9) "Fire protection sprinkler systems work" means the layout, on-site fabrication, installation, alteration, maintenance or repair of any automatic or manual sprinkler system designed for the protection of the interior or exterior of a building or structure from fire, or any piping or tubing and appurtenances and equipment pertaining to such system including overhead and underground water mains, fire hydrants and hydrant mains, standpipes and hose connections to sprinkler systems, sprinkler tank heaters excluding electrical wiring, air lines and thermal systems used in connection with sprinkler and alarm systems connected thereto, foam extinguishing systems or special hazard systems including water spray, foam, carbon dioxide or dry chemical systems, halon and other liquid or gas fire suppression systems, but does not include (A) any engineering design work connected with the layout of fire protection sprinkler systems, or (B) any work performed by employees of or contractors hired by a public water system, as defined in subsection (a) of section 25-33d;
(10) "State Fire Marshal" means the State Fire Marshal or any member of the Division of State Police to whom the Commissioner of Public Safety has delegated powers under section 29-291;
(11) "Journeyman sprinkler fitter" means a specialized pipe fitter craftsman, experienced and skilled in the installation, alteration, maintenance and repair of fire protection sprinkler systems;
(12) "Irrigation work" means making the connections to back flow prevention devices, and low voltage wiring, not exceeding twenty-four volts, used within a lawn sprinkler system;
(13) "Sheet metal work" means the installation, erection, replacement, repair or alteration of duct work systems, both ferrous and nonferrous;
(14) "Journeyman sheet metal worker" means an experienced craftsman skilled in the installation, erection, replacement, repair or alteration of duct work systems, both ferrous and nonferrous;
(15) "Automotive glass work" means installing, maintaining or repairing fixed glass in motor vehicles;
(16) "Flat glass work" means installing, maintaining or repairing glass in residential or commercial structures;
(17) "Medical gas and vacuum systems work" means the work and practice, materials, instrumentation and fixtures used in the construction, installation, alteration, extension, removal, repair, maintenance or renovation of gas and vacuum systems and equipment used solely to transport gases for medical purposes and to remove liquids, air-gases or solids from such systems;
(18) "Solar electricity work" means the installation, erection, repair, replacement, alteration, or maintenance of photovoltaic or wind generation equipment used to distribute or store ambient energy for heat, light, power or other purposes to a point immediately inside any structure or adjacent to an end use;
(19) "Active solar system" means a system that uses an external source of energy to power a motor-driven fan or pump to force the circulation of a fluid through solar heat collectors and which removes the sun's heat from the collectors and transports such heat to a location where it may be used or stored;
(20) "Passive solar system" means a system that is capable of collecting or storing the sun's energy as heat without the use of a motor-driven fan or pump;
(21) "Hybrid solar system" means a system that contains components of both an active solar system and a passive solar system; [and]
(22) "Gas hearth product work" means the installation, service or repair of a propane or natural gas fired fireplace, fireplace insert, stove or log set and associated venting and piping that simulates a flame of a solid fuel fire. "Gas hearth product work" does not include (A) fuel piping work, (B) the servicing of fuel piping, or (C) work associated with pressure regulating devices, except for appliances gas valves; and
(23) "Millwright work" means the installation, repair, replacement, maintenance or alteration of industrial machinery used in the manufacturing process. "