February 29, 2008



Benefits For PeaceTime Veterans


By: Veronica Rose, Principal Analyst



You want to know what benefits state law gives to peacetime veterans. This report has been updated by OLR Report 2017-R-0168.


Veterans who served only in peacetime are eligible for fewer benefits than those who served during wartime, as defined in law. At a minimum, honorably discharged peacetime veterans are eligible for (1) admission to the state Veterans’ Home; (2) burial in one of the state veterans’ cemeteries; and (3) other miscellaneous benefits, including employment, motor vehicle license and registration, and housing benefits. Veterans must document their eligibility for benefits. Proof of eligibility includes the Department of Defense honorable discharge document (DD 214), a “report of separation,” or a “certificate of service.”

Peacetime benefits

Admission to the Veterans’ Home


Veterans who need medical or surgical care and treatment are eligible for admission to the state Veterans’ Home (CGS § 27-108). 


Burial in the State Veterans’ Cemetery


Every veteran (and one spouse of such veteran) is eligible for burial in a Connecticut veterans cemetery (CGS § 27-122b).

Motor Vehicle


A veteran who applies within two years of receiving an honorable discharge is exempt from paying motor vehicle operator’s license or registration fees for one licensing period (CGS § 14-50(c)).


A veteran may request a waiver of  the motor vehicle license examination if he applies within two years of separation from the armed forces or previously held a military operator’s license (CGS § 14-36(e)).


Any type of motor vehicle owned or leased by a veteran or veteran’s surviving spouse for one year or longer qualifies for special veterans license plates (CGS § 14-20b).




When an employee leaves a public authority or agency to enter the armed forces, his employer must reinstate him to his former position if he applies within 90 days after getting his certificate confirming satisfactory military service (CGS § 7-462).


Probate Records


Veterans are entitled to a free, certified copy of any probate record needed to determine their eligibility for benefits (CGS § 45a-12).




The entity operating any Department of Economic Development-funded low- or moderate-income rental housing project must give preference to veterans competing with other applicants when housing needs are substantially equal (CGS § 8-75).