PA 08-115—SB 382
Select Committee on Aging
Energy and Technology Committee
AN ACT CONCERNING TELEPHONE AND CABLE INSTALLATION FEES FOR NURSING HOME RESIDENTS
SUMMARY: This act prohibits the following telephone and cable television providers from charging an installation fee to a resident of a residential care home, nursing home, or rest home when the resident changes rooms within the facility:
1. telephone companies,
2. telecommunications companies,
3. certified telecommunications providers,
4. community antenna television companies,
5. certified competitive video service providers, and
6. cable franchise authority certificate holders.
It specifies that a violation of this provision does not constitute an unfair or deceptive trade practice under the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act (CUTPA). It also prohibits the owner or operator of these facilities from charging a telephone or cable television installation fee when the resident changes rooms.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2008
OLR Tracking: ND: JK: JL: dw