Table of Contents
Sec. 42a-9-102. Definitions and index of definitions.
Sec. 42a-9-102. Definitions and index of definitions. (a) In this article:
(1) "Accession" means goods that are physically united with other goods in such a
manner that the identity of the original goods is not lost.
(2) "Account", except as used in "account for", means a right to payment of a monetary obligation, whether or not earned by performance, (i) for property that has been or
is to be sold, leased, licensed, assigned or otherwise disposed of, (ii) for services rendered
or to be rendered, (iii) for a policy of insurance issued or to be issued, (iv) for a secondary
obligation incurred or to be incurred, (v) for energy provided or to be provided, (vi) for
the use or hire of a vessel under a charter or other contract, (vii) arising out of the use
of a credit or charge card or information contained on or for use with the card, or (viii)
as winnings in a lottery or other game of chance operated or sponsored by a state,
governmental unit of a state or person licensed or authorized to operate the game by a
state or governmental unit of a state. The term includes health-care-insurance receivables. The term does not include (i) rights to payment evidenced by chattel paper or an
instrument, (ii) commercial tort claims, (iii) deposit accounts, (iv) investment property,
(v) letter-of-credit rights or letters of credit, or (vi) rights to payment for money or funds
advanced or sold, other than rights arising out of the use of a credit or charge card or
information contained on or for use with the card.
(3) "Account debtor" means a person obligated on an account, chattel paper or
general intangible. The term does not include persons obligated to pay a negotiable
instrument, even if the instrument constitutes part of chattel paper.
(4) "Accounting", except as used in "accounting for", means a record:
(A) Authenticated by a secured party;
(B) Indicating the aggregate unpaid secured obligations as of a date not more than
thirty-five days earlier or thirty-five days later than the date of the record; and
(C) Identifying the components of the obligations in reasonable detail.
(5) "Agricultural lien" means an interest, other than a security interest, in farm
(A) Which secures payment or performance of an obligation for:
(i) Goods or services furnished in connection with a debtor's farming operation; or
(ii) Rent on real property leased by a debtor in connection with its farming operation;
(B) Which is created by statute in favor of a person that:
(i) In the ordinary course of its business furnished goods or services to a debtor in
connection with a debtor's farming operation; or
(ii) Leased real property to a debtor in connection with the debtor's farming operation; and
(C) Whose effectiveness does not depend on the person's possession of the personal
(6) "As-extracted collateral" means:
(A) Oil, gas or other minerals that are subject to a security interest that:
(i) Is created by a debtor having an interest in the minerals before extraction; and
(ii) Attaches to the minerals as extracted; or
(B) Accounts arising out of the sale at the wellhead or minehead of oil, gas or other
minerals in which the debtor had an interest before extraction.
(7) "Authenticate" means:
(A) To sign; or
(B) To execute or otherwise adopt a symbol, or encrypt or similarly process a record
in whole or in part, with the present intent of the authenticating person to identify the
person and adopt or accept a record.
(8) "Bank" means an organization that is engaged in the business of banking. The
term includes savings banks, savings and loan associations, credit unions and trust companies.
(9) "Cash proceeds" means proceeds that are money, checks, deposit accounts or
(10) "Certificate of title" means a certificate of title with respect to which a statute
provides for the security interest in question to be indicated on the certificate as a condition or result of the security interest's obtaining priority over the rights of a lien creditor
with respect to the collateral.
(11) "Chattel paper" means a record or records that evidence both a monetary obligation and a security interest in specific goods, a security interest in specific goods and
software used in the goods, a security interest in specific goods and license of software
used in the goods, a lease of specific goods, or a lease of specific goods and license of
software used in the goods. In this subdivision, "monetary obligation" means a monetary
obligation secured by the goods or owed under a lease of the goods and includes a
monetary obligation with respect to software used in the goods. The term does not
include (i) charters or other contracts involving the use or hire of a vessel, or (ii) records
that evidence a right to payment arising out of the use of a credit or charge card or
information contained on or for use with the card. If a transaction is evidenced by records
that include an instrument or series of instruments, the group of records taken together
constitutes chattel paper.
(12) "Collateral" means the property subject to a security interest or agricultural
lien. The term includes:
(A) Proceeds to which a security interest attaches;
(B) Accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles and promissory notes that have
been sold; and
(C) Goods that are the subject of a consignment.
(13) "Commercial tort claim" means a claim arising in tort with respect to which:
(A) The claimant is an organization; or
(B) The claimant is an individual and the claim:
(i) Arose in the course of the claimant's business or profession; and
(ii) Does not include damages arising out of personal injury to or the death of an
(14) "Commodity account" means an account maintained by a commodity intermediary in which a commodity contract is carried for a commodity customer.
(15) "Commodity contract" means a commodity futures contract, an option on a
commodity futures contract, a commodity option or another contract if the contract or
(A) Traded on or subject to the rules of a board of trade that has been designated
as a contract market for such a contract pursuant to federal commodities laws; or
(B) Traded on a foreign commodity board of trade, exchange or market, and is
carried on the books of a commodity intermediary for a commodity customer.
(16) "Commodity customer" means a person for which a commodity intermediary
carries a commodity contract on its books.
(17) "Commodity intermediary" means a person that:
(A) Is registered as a futures commission merchant under federal commodities
(B) In the ordinary course of its business provides clearance or settlement services
for a board of trade that has been designated as a contract market pursuant to federal
(18) "Communicate" means:
(A) To send a written or other tangible record;
(B) To transmit a record by any means agreed upon by the persons sending and
receiving the record; or
(C) In the case of transmission of a record to or by a filing office, to transmit a
record by any means prescribed by filing-office regulation.
(19) "Consignee" means a merchant to which goods are delivered in a consignment.
(20) "Consignment" means a transaction, regardless of its form, in which a person
delivers goods to a merchant for the purpose of sale and:
(A) The merchant:
(i) Deals in goods of that kind under a name other than the name of the person
(ii) Is not an auctioneer; and
(iii) Is not generally known by its creditors to be substantially engaged in selling
the goods of others;
(B) With respect to each delivery, the aggregate value of the goods is one thousand
dollars or more at the time of delivery;
(C) The goods are not consumer goods immediately before delivery; and
(D) The transaction does not create a security interest that secures an obligation.
(21) "Consignor" means a person that delivers goods to a consignee in a consignment.
(22) "Consumer debtor" means a debtor in a consumer transaction.
(23) "Consumer goods" means goods that are used or bought for use primarily for
personal, family or household purposes.
(24) "Consumer-goods transaction" means a consumer transaction in which:
(A) An individual incurs an obligation primarily for personal, family or household
(B) A security interest in consumer goods secures the obligation.
(25) "Consumer obligor" means an obligor who is an individual and who incurred
the obligation as part of a transaction entered into primarily for personal, family or
(26) "Consumer transaction" means a transaction in which (i) an individual incurs
an obligation primarily for personal, family or household purposes, (ii) a security interest
secures the obligation, and (iii) the collateral is held or acquired primarily for personal,
family or household purposes. The term includes consumer-goods transactions.
(27) "Continuation statement" means an amendment of a financing statement
(A) Identifies, by its file number or, in the case of a re:CHY:cording with a filing office
described in subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of section 42a-9-501, by book and page
number, the initial financing statement to which it relates; and
(B) Indicates that it is a continuation statement for, or that it is filed to continue the
effectiveness of, the identified financing statement.
(28) "Debtor" means:
(A) A person having an interest, other than a security interest or other lien, in the
collateral, whether or not the person is an obligor;
(B) A seller of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles or promissory notes; or
(C) A consignee.
(29) "Deposit account" means a demand, time, savings, passbook or similar account
maintained with a bank. The term does not include investment property or accounts
evidenced by an instrument.
(30) "Document" means a document of title or a receipt of the type described in
subsection (b) of section 42a-7-201.
(31) "Electronic chattel paper" means chattel paper evidenced by a record or records
consisting of information stored in an electronic medium.
(32) "Encumbrance" includes real property mortgages and other liens on real property and all other rights in real property that are not ownership interests.
(33) "Equipment" means goods other than inventory, farm products or consumer
(34) "Farm products" means goods, other than standing timber, with respect to
which the debtor is engaged in a farming operation and which are:
(A) Crops grown, growing or to be grown, including:
(i) Crops produced on trees, vines and bushes; and
(ii) Aquatic goods produced in aquacultural operations;
(B) Livestock, born or unborn, including aquatic goods produced in aquacultural
(C) Supplies used or produced in a farming operation; or
(D) Products of crops or livestock in their unmanufactured states.
(35) "Farming operation" means raising, cultivating, propagating, fattening, grazing or any other farming, livestock or aquacultural operation.
(36) "File number" means the number assigned to an initial financing statement
pursuant to subsection (a) of section 42a-9-519.
(37) "Filing office" means an office designated in section 42a-9-501 as the place
to file a financing statement.
(38) "Filing-office regulation" means a regulation adopted pursuant to section 42a-9-526.
(39) "Financing statement" means a record or records composed of an initial financing statement and any filed record relating to the initial financing statement.
(40) "Fixture filing" means the filing of a financing statement covering goods that
are or are to become fixtures and satisfying subsections (a) and (b) of section 42a-9-502. The term includes the filing of a financing statement covering goods of a transmitting utility which are or are to become fixtures.
(41) "Fixtures" means goods that have become so related to particular real property
that an interest in them arises under real property law.
(42) "General intangible" means any personal property, including things in action,
other than accounts, chattel paper, commercial tort claims, deposit accounts, documents,
goods, instruments, investment property, letter-of-credit rights, letters of credit, money
and oil, gas or other minerals before extraction. The term includes payment intangibles
(43) "Good faith" has the same meaning as provided in subdivision (20) of subsection (b) of section 42a-1-201.
(44) "Goods" means all things that are movable when a security interest attaches.
The term includes (i) fixtures, (ii) standing timber that is to be cut and removed under
a conveyance or contract for sale, (iii) the unborn young of animals, (iv) crops grown,
growing or to be grown, even if the crops are produced on trees, vines or bushes, and
(v) manufactured homes. The term also includes a computer program embedded in goods
and any supporting information provided in connection with a transaction relating to
the program if (i) the program is associated with the goods in such a manner that it
customarily is considered part of the goods, or (ii) by becoming the owner of the goods,
a person acquires a right to use the program in connection with the goods. The term
does not include a computer program embedded in goods that consist solely of the
medium in which the program is embedded. The term also does not include accounts,
chattel paper, commercial tort claims, deposit accounts, documents, general intangibles,
instruments, investment property, letter-of-credit rights, letters of credit, money or oil,
gas or other minerals before extraction.
(45) "Governmental unit" means a subdivision, agency, department, county, parish,
municipality, or other unit of the government of the United States, a state or a foreign
country. The term includes an organization having a separate corporate existence if the
organization is eligible to issue debt on which interest is exempt from income taxation
under the laws of the United States.
(46) "Health-care-insurance receivable" means an interest in or claim under a policy
of insurance which is a right to payment of a monetary obligation for health-care goods
or services provided.
(47) "Instrument" means a negotiable instrument or any other writing that evidences
a right to the payment of a monetary obligation, is not itself a security agreement or
lease and is of a type that in ordinary course of business is transferred by delivery with
any necessary endorsement or assignment. The term does not include (i) investment
property, (ii) letters of credit, or (iii) writings that evidence a right to payment arising
out of the use of a credit or charge card or information contained on or for use with
(48) "Inventory" means goods, other than farm products, which:
(A) Are leased by a person as lessor;
(B) Are held by a person for sale or lease or to be furnished under a contract of
(C) Are furnished by a person under a contract of service; or
(D) Consist of raw materials, work in process or materials used or consumed in a
(49) "Investment property" means a security, whether certificated or uncertificated,
security entitlement, securities account, commodity contract or commodity account.
(50) "Jurisdiction of organization", with respect to a registered organization, means
the jurisdiction under whose law the organization is organized.
(51) "Letter-of-credit right" means a right to payment or performance under a letter
of credit, whether or not the beneficiary has demanded or is at the time entitled to demand
payment or performance. The term does not include the right of a beneficiary to demand
payment or performance under a letter of credit.
(52) "Lien creditor" means:
(A) A creditor that has acquired a lien on the property involved by attachment, levy
or the like;
(B) An assignee for benefit of creditors from the time of assignment;
(C) A trustee in bankruptcy from the date of the filing of the petition; or
(D) A receiver in equity from the time of appointment.
(53) "Manufactured home" means a "mobile manufactured home" as defined in
(54) "Manufactured-home transaction" means a secured transaction:
(A) That creates a purchase-money security interest in a manufactured home, other
than a manufactured home held as inventory; or
(B) In which a manufactured home, other than a manufactured home held as inventory, is the primary collateral.
(55) "Mortgage" means a consensual interest in real property, including fixtures,
which secures payment or performance of an obligation.
(56) "New debtor" means a person that becomes bound as debtor under subsection
(d) of section 42a-9-203 by a security agreement previously entered into by another
(57) "New value" means (i) money, (ii) money's worth in property, services or new
credit, or (iii) release by a transferee of an interest in property previously transferred to
the transferee. The term does not include an obligation substituted for another obligation.
(58) "Noncash proceeds" means proceeds other than cash proceeds.
(59) "Obligor" means a person that, with respect to an obligation secured by a security interest in or an agricultural lien on the collateral, (i) owes payment or other performance of the obligation, (ii) has provided property other than the collateral to secure
payment or other performance of the obligation, or (iii) is otherwise accountable in
whole or in part for payment or other performance of the obligation. The term does not
include issuers or nominated persons under a letter of credit.
(60) "Original debtor", except as used in subsection (c) of section 42a-9-310, means
a person that, as debtor, entered into a security agreement to which a new debtor has
become bound under subsection (d) of section 42a-9-203.
(61) "Payment intangible" means a general intangible under which the account
debtor's principal obligation is a monetary obligation.
(62) "Person related to", with respect to an individual, means:
(A) The spouse of the individual;
(B) A brother, brother-in-law, sister or sister-in-law of the individual;
(C) An ancestor or lineal descendant of the individual or the individual's spouse; or
(D) Any other relative, by blood or marriage, of the individual or the individual's
spouse who shares the same home with the individual.
(63) "Person related to", with respect to an organization, means:
(A) A person directly or indirectly controlling, controlled by or under common
control with the organization;
(B) An officer or director of, or a person performing similar functions with respect
to, the organization;
(C) An officer or director of, or a person performing similar functions with respect
to, a person described in subparagraph (A);
(D) The spouse of an individual described in subparagraph (A), (B) or (C); or
(E) An individual who is related by blood or marriage to an individual described
in subparagraph (A), (B), (C) or (D) and shares the same home with the individual.
(64) "Proceeds", except as used in subsection (b) of section 42a-9-609, means the
(A) Whatever is acquired upon the sale, lease, license, exchange or other disposition
(B) Whatever is collected on, or distributed on account of, collateral;
(C) Rights arising out of collateral;
(D) To the extent of the value of collateral, claims arising out of the loss, nonconformity or interference with the use of, defects or infringement of rights in, or damage to,
the collateral; or
(E) To the extent of the value of collateral and to the extent payable to the debtor
or the secured party, insurance payable by reason of the loss or nonconformity of, defects
or infringement of rights in, or damage to, the collateral.
(65) "Promissory note" means an instrument that evidences a promise to pay a
monetary obligation, does not evidence an order to pay and does not contain an acknowledgment by a bank that the bank has received for deposit a sum of money or funds.
(66) "Proposal" means a record authenticated by a secured party which includes
the terms on which the secured party is willing to accept collateral in full or partial
satisfaction of the obligation it secures pursuant to sections 42a-9-620, 42a-9-621 and
(67) "Public-finance transaction" means a secured transaction in connection with
(A) Debt securities are issued;
(B) All or a portion of the securities issued have an initial stated maturity of at least
twenty years; and
(C) The debtor, obligor, secured party, account debtor or other person obligated on
collateral, assignor or assignee of a secured obligation or assignor or assignee of a
security interest is a state or a governmental unit of a state.
(68) "Pursuant to commitment", with respect to an advance made or other value
given by a secured party, means pursuant to the secured party's obligation, whether or
not a subsequent event of default or other event not within the secured party's control
has relieved or may relieve the secured party from its obligation.
(69) "Record", except as used in "for record", "of record", "record or legal title"
and "record owner", means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or which
is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(70) "Registered organization" means an organization organized solely under the
law of a single state or the United States and as to which the state or the United States
must maintain a public record showing the organization to have been organized.
(71) "Secondary obligor" means an obligor to the extent that:
(A) The obligor's obligation is secondary; or
(B) The obligor has a right of recourse with respect to an obligation secured by
collateral against the debtor, another obligor or property of either.
(72) "Secured party" means:
(A) A person in whose favor a security interest is created or provided for under a
security agreement, whether or not any obligation to be secured is outstanding;
(B) A person that holds an agricultural lien;
(C) A consignor;
(D) A person to which accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles or promissory
notes have been sold;
(E) A trustee, indenture trustee, agent, collateral agent or other representative in
whose favor a security interest or agricultural lien is created or provided for; or
(F) A person that holds a security interest arising under section 42a-2-401, section
42a-2-505, subsection (3) of section 42a-2-711, subsection (d) of section 42a-2A-724,
section 42a-4-210 or section 42a-5-118.
(73) "Security agreement" means an agreement that creates or provides for a security interest.
(74) "Send", in connection with a record or notification, means:
(A) To deposit in the mail, deliver for transmission or transmit by any other usual
means of communication, with postage or cost of transmission provided for, addressed
to any address reasonable under the circumstances; or
(B) To cause the record or notification to be received within the time that it would
have been received if properly sent under subparagraph (A).
(75) "Software" means a computer program and any supporting information provided in connection with a transaction relating to the program. The term does not include
a computer program that is included in the definition of goods.
(76) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto
Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to
the jurisdiction of the United States.
(77) "Supporting obligation" means a letter-of-credit right or secondary obligation
that supports the payment or performance of an account, chattel paper, a document, a
general intangible, an instrument or investment property.
(78) "Tangible chattel paper" means chattel paper evidenced by a record or records
consisting of information that is inscribed on a tangible medium.
(79) "Termination statement" means an amendment of a financing statement which:
(A) Identifies, by its file number or, in the case of a re:CHY:cording with a filing office
described in subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of section 42a-9-501, by book and page
number, the initial financing statement to which it relates; and
(B) Indicates either that it is a termination statement or that the identified financing
statement is no longer effective.
(80) "Transmitting utility" means a person primarily engaged in the business of:
(A) Operating a railroad, subway, street railway or trolley bus;
(B) Transmitting communications electrically, electromagnetically or by light;
(C) Transmitting goods by pipeline or sewer; or
(D) Transmitting or producing and transmitting electricity, steam, gas or water.
(b) "Control" as provided in section 42a-7-106 and the following definitions in
other articles apply to this article:
"Applicant". Section 42a-5-102.
"Beneficiary". Section 42a-5-102.
"Broker". Section 42a-8-102.
"Certificated security". Section 42a-8-102.
"Check". Section 42a-3-104.
"Clearing corporation". Section 42a-8-102.
"Contract for sale". Section 42a-2-106.
"Customer". Section 42a-4-104.
"Entitlement holder". Section 42a-8-102.
"Financial asset". Section 42a-8-102.
"Holder in due course". Section 42a-3-302.
"Issuer" (with respect to a letter of credit or letter-of-credit right). Section 42a-5-102.
"Issuer" (with respect to a security). Section 42a-8-201.
"Issuer" (with respect to documents of title). Section 42a-7-102.
"Lease". Section 42a-2A-102.
"Lease agreement". Section 42a-2A-102.
"Lease contract". Section 42a-2A-102.
"Leasehold interest". Section 42a-2A-102.
"Lessee". Section 42a-2A-102.
"Lessee in ordinary course of business". Section 42a-2A-102.
"Lessor". Section 42a-2A-102.
"Lessor's residual interest". Section 42a-2A-102.
"Letter of credit". Section 42a-5-102.
"Merchant". Section 42a-2-104.
"Negotiable instrument". Section 42a-3-104.
"Nominated person". Section 42a-5-102.
"Note". Section 42a-3-104.
"Proceeds of a letter of credit". Section 42a-5-114.
"Prove". Section 42a-3-103.
"Sale". Section 42a-2-106.
"Securities account". Section 42a-8-501.
"Securities intermediary". Section 42a-8-102.
"Security". Section 42a-8-102.
"Security certificate". Section 42a-8-102.
"Security entitlement". Section 42a-8-102.
"Uncertificated security". Section 42a-8-102.
(c) Article 1 contains general definitions and principles of construction and interpretation applicable throughout this article.
(1959, P.A. 133, S. 9-102; P.A. 76-369, S. 7; P.A. 01-132, S. 2; P.A. 02-131, S. 93, 94; P.A. 04-64, S. 60, 61; P.A. 05-109, S. 39.)
History: P.A. 76-369 amended Subsec. (1) to delete exception re provisions of Sec. 42a-9-103 on multiple state transactions, to delete redundant clause which had specified that article applies "so far as concerns any personal property and
fixtures within the jurisdiction of this state" and to delete references to contract rights as personal property or fixtures;
P.A. 01-132 replaced former provisions re policy and scope of this article with provisions defining terms used in this article
and specifying definitions in other articles that apply to this article; P.A. 02-131 amended Subsec. (a)(72)(F) by adding
reference to Sec. 42a-2A-724(d) and amended Subsec. (b) by adding applicable terms defined in Sec. 42a-2A-102; P.A.
04-64 amended Subsec. (a)(30) by making a technical change and amended Subsec. (b) by adding reference to "control"
as provided in Sec. 42a-7-106 and adding reference to "issuer" with respect to documents of title as defined in Sec. 42a-7-102 to conform to revisions made to article 7 by the same act; P.A. 05-109 amended Subsec. (a)(43) by replacing definition
of "good faith" with reference to meaning of said term provided in Sec. 42a-1-201(b)(20) to conform to revisions made
to article 1 by the same act.