OLR Research Report

March 7, 2002





By: George Coppolo, Chief Attorney

You asked whether there is any government assistance available to a Connecticut company that is owed money by a Mexican company. Our office is not authorized to give legal opinions and this report should not be considered one.

According to the Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD), a Connecticut company might be helped by the U.S. Department of Commerce's International Trade Office located in Middletown. According to DECD, that office has helped Connecticut companies to collect invoices in Mexico and has helped foreign companies to collect invoices from Connecticut companies. The International Trade Office can be reached at (860) 638-6950.

The company may also be assisted by Connecticut's Mexican trade representative. The company can reach him through DECD's International Trade Director Costas Lake at (860) 270-8067. The trade representative concentrates primarily on the Mexico City area. The company may have to pay for any services he provides.

The company could also seek contact the Mexican trade representative directly. His name is Noe Delaflor Garci and his address is:

LONOFER S. A. de C. V.

Avenida Alvaro Obregon 273-201

C. P. 06700, Mexico, D. F.


The trade representative can be found on DECD's Web site at or emailed at

According to Houston Putnam Lowrey, an expert in international law, Connecticut companies would be well advised to include an arbitration clause in any contract they have with companies from foreign countries including Mexico. Lowrey advised us that Mexico is a party to the 1958 New York Convention on International Arbitration. It has been Lowrey's experience that Mexican courts will honor and enforce arbitration decisions. A properly drafted arbitration clause would not only establish that the parties would honor an arbitration agreement but also could establish such things as where the actual arbitration would take place.