Return to Part 1 of the Report
JUDICIARY COMMITTEE REQUEST
TO STUDY CONNECTICUTS DRUG POLICY
STATE OF CONNECTICUT
LEGISLATIVE OFFICE BUILDING
HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06106-1591
April 19, 1995
Jay B. Levin, Chairman
Connecticut Law Revision Commission
Hartford, CT 06106
We are writing to request that the Law Revision Comrrission undertake a study of alternative models for the control of drug use. Such a study would review and report on:
1. the effectiveness of current criminal penalties for the illegal sale and possession of controlled substances;
2. the effect that alteration of criminal penalties for illegal sale and possession would have on the incidence and treatment of substance abuse, the incidence of other crime, the overcrowding of correctional facilities, and the availability of resources within the law enforcement and criminal justice systems;
3. the effectiveness of current substance abuse treatment and education programs;
4. the relationship between welfare and the illegal sale and possession of drugs; and
5. the outcomes of drug control programs in other states and countries including at least one study of the medicalization of the drug laws and the effect that these programs have had on crime, welfare, and substance abuse.
DRUG POLICY STUDY
The Commission should not limit its study to the five areas listed above, but should conduct a study broad enough to present a substantive report on the ramifications of our current drug policy and of alternative models. A report of the Commission's findings, togther with the Commission's recommendations for appropriate modification of the laws, should be made to the Judiciary Committee by January 2, 1997.
The Commission should seek funding from non-profit organizations or foundations to assist with the study and to enable the staff to gather information and observe ongoing treatment and drug control programs.
Thank you for your attention to this request. Please call us should you have any questions.
Senator Thomas F. Upson
Representative Michael P. Lawlor
Co-Chairman, Judiciary Committe Co-Chairman, Judiciary Committee
Top Part 1 Part 1, Appendix B Part 1, Appendix C Part 1, Bibliography Part 2