Grandparents' Visitation Task Force
During the 2012 Legislative Session, HB 5440 was introduced and passed both chambers of the House and Senate. PA 12-137 was signed into law on June 15, 2012. The language in the public act is a result of the work of the Grandparents' Visitation Rights Task Force (SA 11-12).
Governor Malloy signs PA 12-137, An Act Concerning the Visitation Rights for Grandparents and Other Persons. Representative Joseph Serra, Speaker of the House Christopher Donovan and Commission on Aging Community Liaison, Deb Migneault participated in the bill signing ceremony.
Special Act 11-12 established a task force to study issues related to visitation rights for grandparents. The task force submitted a report, including findings and recommendations for legislation to enhance the visitation rights for grandparents, to the joint committees having cognizance of matters related to aging, judiciary and children on February 1, 2012.
The Commission on Aging served as administrative staff of the Task Force.
|Agenda||Minutes||Meeting Audio||CT-N Coverage|
|September 9, 2011||September 9, 2011||September 9, 2011|
|September 23, 2011||September 23, 2011||September 23, 2011||September 23, 2011|
|October 17, 2011||October 17, 2011||October 17, 2011||October 17, 2011|
|November 21, 2011||November 21, 2011||November 21, 2011||November 21, 2011|
|December 5, 2011||December 5, 2011||December 5, 2011||December 5, 2011 Not Available|
|January 9, 2012||January 9, 2012||January 9, 2012||January 9, 2012 Not Available|
|January 30, 2012||January 30, 2012 Not Available|
- Written Public Testimony to the Grandparents' Visitation Rights Task Force
- Current Statute related to Visitation Rights - CGS § 46b-59
- OLR Research Report: Grandparent Visitation Rights - February 7, 2011
- OLR Research Report: Grandparents' Visitation Rights Over a Parent's Objection - January 10, 2011
- CT-N coverage of the Select Committees on Aging and Children Forum on Visitation Rights of Grandparents - January 26, 2010
- Public Hearing Testimony - HB 6453 - An Act Concerning Grandparents Visitation Rights.
- OLR Updated Report: Caselaw Grandparents' Visitation Rights in Connecticut - September 21, 2011
- OLR Presentation: Constitutional Constraints and Legislative Options - October 17, 2011
Relevant Case Law:
- U.S Supreme Court - Troxel vs. Granville - June 5, 2000
- Connecticut Supreme Court - Roth vs. Weston - January 29, 2002
- Conneticut Supreme Court - DiGiovanna vs. St. George - January 5, 2011
- Connecticut Supreme Court - Castagno vs. Wholean - November 26, 1996
- Connecticut Supreme Court - Fish v. Fish (2008)