OLR Bill Analysis
AN ACT CONCERNING SECONDHAND DEALERS.
This bill exempts dealers of used (1) clothing, (2) children's products, and (3) sporting equipment from secondhand dealer requirements. It applies to those primarily in the business of buying and selling clothing, children's products, or sporting equipment, from someone other than a wholesaler. Children's products do not include those regulated by the federal Food and Drug Administration.
By law, secondhand dealers are required to, among other things:
1. be licensed by law enforcement;
2. identify sellers before making purchases;
3. keep a record-keeping system, including photographing certain items;
4. accept only certain types of payment;
5. sell only to adults, unless the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian; and
6. submit weekly reports to the licensing authority.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2013
Public Safety and Security Committee
Joint Favorable Substitute