February Session, 2012
LCO No. 5293
REP. ROBLES, 6th Dist.
"AN ACT CONCERNING EDUCATIONAL COMPETITIVENESS. "
After the last section, add the following and renumber sections and internal references accordingly:
"Sec. 501. Subsection (b) of section 10-183e of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):
(b) Any member may purchase, as provided in subsection (c) of this section, additional credited service, but not to exceed an aggregate of one year in the case of service described in subdivision (2) of this subsection for each two years of active full-time service as a Connecticut teacher; and not to exceed an aggregate of one year in the case of absence described in subdivision (8) of this subsection for each five years of active full-time service as a Connecticut teacher, provided if any such absence exceeds thirty consecutive school months, such additional credited service shall be limited to thirty school months; and not to exceed an aggregate of ten years for all service described in this subsection, except for service described in subdivision (2) of this subsection; and not to exceed an aggregate of five years in the case of service described in subdivision (18) of this subsection for each year of active full-time service as a Connecticut teacher in a nonpublic or parochial school, provided such teacher is currently employed in a public school. In no event may any service described in this subsection be purchased if the member is receiving or is, or will become, entitled to receive a retirement benefit based upon such service from any governmental system other than the teachers' retirement system or the federal Social Security System. Additional credited service includes:
(1) Service as a teacher in a school for military dependents established by the United States Department of Defense;
(2) Service as a teacher in another state of the United States, its territories or possessions;
(3) Service in the armed forces of the United States in time of war, as defined in section 27-103, or service in said armed forces during the period beginning October 27, 1953, and ending January 31, 1955;
(4) Service in a permanent full-time position for the state;
(5) Service as a teacher at The University of Connecticut prior to July 1, 1965;
(6) Service as a teacher at the Wheeler School and Library, North Stonington, prior to September 1, 1949;
(7) Service as a teacher at the Gilbert Home, Winsted, prior to September 1, 1948;
(8) Any formal leave of absence as provided in regulations adopted by the board, if the member subsequently returns to service for at least one school year;
(9) Service as a teacher at the American School at Hartford for the Deaf, the Connecticut Institute for the Blind or the Newington Children's Hospital;
(10) Forty or more days of service as a substitute teacher, or the equivalent service rendered at less than half-time, in a single public school system within the state of Connecticut in any school year, provided eighteen days of such service shall equal one month of credited service under subsection (a) of this section;
(11) Service in the armed forces of the United States, other than service described in subdivision (3) of this subsection, not to exceed thirty months;
(12) Service as a full-time, salaried, elected official of the state or any political subdivision of the state during the 1978 calendar year or thereafter, if such member subsequently returns to service for at least one school year;
(13) Service in the public schools of Connecticut as a member of the federal Teacher Corps, not to exceed two years;
(14) Service in the United States Peace Corps;
(15) Service in the United States VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program;
(16) Service in the public schools of Connecticut as a social work assistant, from January 1, 1969, to December 31, 1986, inclusive, if such member became a certified school social worker and remained in public school service as a social worker after certification; and
(17) Service prior to July 1, 2007, as a member of the staff of the State Education Resource Center established pursuant to section 10-4q employed in a professional capacity while possessing a certificate or permit issued by the State Board of Education.
(18) Service in a nonpublic school or a parochial school located in Connecticut."
This act shall take effect as follows and shall amend the following sections: