Sec. 20-450. Definitions. As used in sections 20-450 to 20-462, inclusive, unless
the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Association" means (A) an association, as defined in section 47-202, and an association of unit owners, as defined in section 47-68a and in section 47-68 of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 1975, and (B) the mandatory owners organization of any common interest community, as defined in section 47-202, which community was not created under chapter 825 or 828 or under chapter 825 of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 1975. "Association" does not include an association of a common interest community which contains only units restricted to nonresidential use;
(2) "Community association manager" means a person who provides association management services, and includes any partner, director, officer, employee or agent of such person who directly provides association management services on behalf of such person;
(3) "Association management services" means services provided to an association for remuneration, including one or more of the following: (A) Collecting, controlling or disbursing funds of the association or having the authority to do so; (B) preparing budgets or other financial documents for the association; (C) assisting in the conduct of or conducting association meetings; (D) advising or assisting the association in obtaining insurance; (E) coordinating or supervising the overall operations of the association; and (F) advising the association on the overall operations of the association. Any person licensed in this state under any provision of the general statutes or rules of court who provides the services for which such person is licensed to an association for remuneration shall not be deemed to be providing association management services. Any director, officer or other member of an association who provides services specified in this subdivision to the association of which he or she is a member shall not be deemed to be providing association management services unless such director, officer or other member owns or controls more than two-thirds but less than all of the votes in such association;
(4) "Commission" means the Connecticut Real Estate Commission appointed under the provisions of section 20-311a;
(5) "Department" means the Department of Consumer Protection; and
(6) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, limited liability company or other legal entity.
(P.A. 90-306, S. 2, 15; P.A. 91-341, S. 1, 19; P.A. 95-79, S. 69, 189; P.A. 98-10, S. 64; 98-47; June 30 Sp. Sess. P.A. 03-6, S. 146(d); P.A. 04-169, S. 17; 04-189, S. 1; P.A. 07-243, S. 8.)
History: P.A. 91-341 added definitions of "department" and "person"; P.A. 95-79 redefined "person" to include a limited liability company, effective May 31, 1995; P.A. 98-10 made technical changes; P.A. 98-47 redefined "association management services" by adding provisions in Subdiv. (3) re director, officer or other member owning or controlling more than two-thirds but less than all of the votes in the association; June 30 Sp. Sess. P.A. 03-6 and P.A. 04-169 replaced Department of Consumer Protection with Department of Agriculture and Consumer Protection, effective July 1, 2004; P.A. 04-189 repealed Sec. 146 of June 30 Sp. Sess. P.A. 03-6, thereby reversing the merger of the Departments of Agriculture and Consumer Protection, effective June 1, 2004; P.A. 07-243 redefined "community association manager" in Subdiv. (2) to include partner, director, officer, employee or agent who directly provides association management services and made technical changes.
Chapter Table of Contents)
List of Chapters)
List of Titles)